Suwałki City is situated in north-east Poland, in the Podlaskie province, on the Czarna Hańcza River, in the proximity of the state border with Lithuania, Russia and Belarus.
Geographically, most of the city belongs to the sandy Augustów Plain; only small morainal areas in north-east and north-west belong, respectively, to East Suwałki Lake District and Jeleniewo Hills.
The city covers the area of 24 km², 74 % of which constitute green areas.
Suwałki has over 69 thousand inhabitants, it is the largest city of the region and second (after Białystok) largest urban entity in the Podlaskie province.
The city is an important administrative (the seat of the urban and rural counties), economic, social-cultural, of communication and educational centre of the Suwałki region.
The city is situated at important transport routes: from Warsaw to Sankt Petersburg and from Warsaw to Helsinki (planned highway VIA BALTICA), and the railway route linking Baltic countries with Western Europe (RAIL BALTICA).
The city coat of arms was granted with the charter of King Augustus II in 1720. It portrays St Roch and St Romuald standing dressed in silver vestments, between them three green mountains on a red background. The highest mountain is topped with a golden cross, at its base lies a golden crown. St. Roch (on left side) is leaning on a black cane, and at his feet lies a black dog.